A BLOG CHRONICLING MY SEMESTER AND TRAVELS ABROAD

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope that this will be an excellent way for me to keep all of my friends and family up to date on my semester abroad in Rome. Please feel free to post any comments you would like, or shoot me an e-mail and I will try to respond as soon as possible. Also, if you click on each of the photographs below, it will display them at their full size.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Washing My Clothes

Today was the last day of classes for the first week. Before I went to class, however, I had my first experience doing laundry. The washer is very small and front loading and it is located in the kitchen where you would normally find a dishwasher. Everything is in Italian and if it weren’t for our landlord showing one of my roommates how to use it I would have had no idea where to even start (as a side note, I went to the grocery store and thought it might be nice to pick up a huge family size bottle of detergent for me and my roommates to share. I was pretty proud of myself until I found out that it was fabric softener and not detergent). Anyway I put a load in and it finished pretty quickly and then laid everything out on the drying rack. Pretty much everything was dry by later this evening except for some jeans and my cotton socks.

Yes, those are my boxers.

The cold rainy weather continued into today and it actually started hailing for a while when I was in the computer lab this afternoon. I went over to Monica’s earlier this evening and cooked dinner with her and her roommates. We bought some farfalli pasta, chicken, fresh mozzarella de bufala, pesto, olive oil, onion, garlic, and oregano. We diced up the chicken, onion, and garlic and sautéed it in the olive oil while we boiled the pasta. Then we cut up the mozzarella ball and mixed the pasta and the olive oil, chicken, garlic, and onion together and slowly stirred in chunks of the fresh mozzarella. The mozzarella kind of melts over all of the pasta and the chicken and it is delicious. Later we packed and figured out what all we wanted to check out while in Florence. It was pretty exciting packing up the pack for the first weekend trip; hopefully it will be the first of many. Our train leaves at 7:14 tomorrow morning and is scheduled to get into Florence a little before 11:00.

No comments: